ABC - Top Stories
Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Here are the scores from Tuesday's sports events:

NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
Denver 103, Detroit 84
Cleveland 123, Atlanta 114
OT N.Y. Knicks 113, L.A. Lakers 109
Brooklyn 103, Washington 98
Dallas 95, San Antonio 89
OT Philadelphia 118, Minnesota 112
Sacramento 99, Phoenix 92

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
Edmonton 7, Columbus 2
Buffalo 3, Ottawa 2
Philadelphia 4, Toronto 2
Washington 5, Colorado 2
New Jersey 5, L.A. Kings 1
SO Minnesota 2, Calgary 1
Tampa Bay 3, St. Louis 0
OT Chicago 3, Florida 2
SO Carolina 3, Vegas 2

TOP 25 COLLEGE BASKETBALL
(15) Seton Hall 84, St. Peter's 61
(25) Cincinnati 65, Mississippi St. 50

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Drew Angerer/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Omarosa Manigault, a high-profile member of President Donald Trump's team, is resigning, according to the White House.

She will stay on until Jan. 20.

This marks the departure of one of the most prominent supporters and members of the president’s team, a rare minority on the president's senior staff and most often the only person of color in the room.

"Omarosa Manigault Newman resigned yesterday to pursue other opportunities. Her departure will not be effective until Jan. 20, 2018. We wish her the best in future endeavors and are grateful for her service," a White House official said in a statement.

Manigault, a former Apprentice contestant, followed Trump to the White House from the campaign where she took on the role of public liaison. She had previously served in the office of Vice President Al Gore during Bill Clinton's administration.

She also had a very public feud with April Ryan, a White House reporter for American Urban Radio Networks, in which Manigault reportedly said she had a recording of an altercation between the two.

Manigault, 43, sparked controversy earlier this year, according to Politico, when she brought her 39-person bridal party to the White House for an “extended wedding photo shoot.”

She was banned from posting any of the photos online.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The wife of the alleged New York City subway bomber told ABC News that he "never ever" spoke negatively of the U.S. and that she saw "no signs" of his impending attack when she spoke to him by phone the morning he detonated a pipe bomb strapped to his body in an underground subway tunnel.

Akayed Ullah, 27, was hit with a litany of state and federal terrorism charges on Tuesday for the Monday-morning attack.

The bombing, during the height of the morning commute, resulted in just a few minor injuries in the crowded passageway under the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Ullah suffered burns to his abdomen and arm. He is currently recovering at Bellevue Hospital.

Jannatul Ferdous spoke to ABC News through a closed door from her home in Dhaka, Bangladesh, saying she talked to her husband on the morning of the attack and he did not allude to the attempted suicide bombing.

"I talked with him on the day of the incident at 5 a.m. U.S. time," Ferdous told ABC News in Bengali. "I mainly phoned to wake him up to go to work."

Ferdous said she routinely woke her husband up to go to work.

The couple married in 2016. They have an infant son.

She said he showed no signs of anger on Monday, saying, "There were no signs of that. He did not even call before leaving for work."

Ullah's mother-in-law, who also lives at the same home, spoke to ABC News as well, and said her son-in-law was in Dhaka in September and returned to New York on Oct. 22. Ullah lived in Brooklyn, where authorities believe he constructed the pipe bomb used in the alleged attack.

According to authorities, Ullah said he carried out the attack on behalf of ISIS. Investigators said he began showing signs of radicalization in 2014 when he began viewing pro-ISIS propaganda online.

Ullah is charged with five federal counts, including the use of a weapon of mass destruction and bombing a place of public use. He could face life in prison.

When asked by ABC News whether she would fight for her husband in court, she said, "It's not my own decision right now. It does not matter whether I want it or not."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Photo by 20th Century-Fox/Getty Images(WASHINGTON D.C.) -- Just as millions of fans are partaking in their annual Christmas tradition of watching the movie, the Library of Congress has announced its adding Die Hard to the National Film Registry

In addition to the the 1988 Bruce Willis hit, 1941's Disney classic Dumbo got the nod, as did two movies from director Richard Donner: 1978's Superman, and 1985's The Goonies.  Also making the cut are modern favorites Field of Dreams and Memento, and older classics like comedy-drama Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, from 1967, and the 1947 drama Gentleman's Agreement.

As always, some of the movies set for preservation aren't narrative films, but rather early examples of the medium, like 1905's Interior New York Subway, 14th Street to 42nd Street.

Films added to the National Film Registry are selected for their artistic, social, or cultural significance. 

Here are this year's 25 entries:

Ace in the Hole (aka Big Carnival) (1951)
Boulevard Nights (1979)
Die Hard (1988)
Dumbo (1941)
Field of Dreams (1989)
4 Little Girls (1997)
Fuentes Family Home Movies Collection (1920s and 1930s)
Gentleman’s Agreement (1947)
The Goonies (1985)
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967)
He Who Gets Slapped (1924)
Interior New York Subway, 14th Street to 42nd Street (1905)
La Bamba (1987)
Lives of Performers (1972)
Memento (2000)
Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
The Sinking of the Lusitania (1918)
Spartacus (1960)
Superman (1978)
Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser (1988)
Time and Dreams (1976)
Titanic (1997)
To Sleep with Anger (1990)
Wanda (1971)
With the Abraham Lincoln Brigade in Spain (1937-1938)

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- When President Donald Trump announced two months ago that he would not certify Iran’s compliance with the nuclear deal, he automatically triggered a 60-day review period during which Congress could decide to snap tough economic sanctions on Iran back into place -- a move that would effectively kill the landmark nuclear arms agreement.

That review period expired Tuesday, and the results are in: Congress chose not to act.

The White House said Tuesday that there was never any expectation Congress would act on sanctions within the review period and that the administration is still working with Congress on a longer-term, legislative fix to the deal.

That means the deal, which Trump recently described as the "one of the worst and most one-sided transactions the United States has ever entered into," remains unchanged. And the Republican Congress, which the president hopes will make a decision for him, is signaling they may lack the political grit to pass a law that kills it.

Trump has said he wants Congress to "fix the flaws in the deal" by passing a law that would remove sunset clauses and impose restrictions on Iran's ballistic missile program. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has called them "trigger points" that relate to unacceptable Iranian behavior. But all five international signatories to the deal agree a U.S. law like that would amount to a material breach.

Congress' inaction during the review period raises questions about whether they will pass a new law that could kill the deal later.

Micah Johnson, a spokesman for Senate Foreign Relations Chairman Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., told ABC News the senator is having "productive discussions" with the administration and other congressional leaders about the "appropriate path forward."

Sens. Corker and Tom Cotton, R-Ark., released a legislative framework for fixing the Iran deal two months ago, but sources on Capitol Hill told ABC News that so far there is no new legislation circulating.

Trump has threatened to end the deal on his own if Congress does nothing. "In the event we are not able to reach a solution working with Congress and our allies, then the agreement will be terminated," the president said in October. "It is under continuous review, and our participation can be canceled by me, as president, at any time."

Assuming Congress doesn't put forward any new legislation on Iran, the next step lies with Trump, and he could reach a tipping point when he's confronted with making a decision on the next round of sanctions waivers on Jan. 13.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK)  --  A new study of online “tech support” scams shows that millennial’s – not the elderly – may be hardest hit by the widespread frauds, and their victimization may extend far beyond the initial loss of money.

Scam artists are using the ploy to plant malware in victims’ computers and steal personal and financial information that can be used to commit identity theft later, according to a national study released Monday by Better Business Bureaus in five cities working with the Federal Trade Commission and FBI.

Thousands of Americans have been exposed to the scam, which often appears as a pop-up ad that looks like a legitimate alert about a computer virus.

In other cases, scammers contact people by phone or email, sometimes claiming they are from Microsoft tech support or insisting that the consumer needs to renew a software license.

The FTC and the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) reported getting 41,000 complaints from U.S. consumers losing $21 million in the first nine months of this year.

Experts say that number is probably only a fraction of the real number of victims. The BBB study noted that Microsoft has reported getting about 12,000 complaints per month worldwide about tech support scams.

“The scam is truly unreported,” said Steve Bernas, president of the Chicago BBB.

The scammers ask for payments ranging from about $500 to thousands of dollars to “fix” a supposed problem with the computer.

Often, they will ask the victim to allow them remote access to their computer. Victims have reported spending long periods of time watching the cursor on their screen move as the phony tech says he is fixing the computer; this adds to the consumer’s belief that repairs are actually being made.

Instead, consumer advocates say, the scammer is just pretending to install a fix, or worse, they are installing malware that lets them peer into the victim’s computer files and capture keystrokes that divulge passwords and PINs.

Some victims get hit a second time when the scammers use this information to commit identity theft.

Bernas said many victims don’t even realize they’ve been scammed, because they think they paid a real tech company to fix their computer.

A 2016 Microsoft report showed that consumers aged 25 to 34 were six times more likely to lose money to a tech support scam than consumers who were 66 and over.

“Millennial”s live their life online … they’re most likely to encounter pop-up messages,” said Todd Kossow, Midwest regional director of the FTC.

These tech support scams differ from “ransomware” attacks, in which criminals take control of a system or steal data and demand a ransom to release it. Tech support scams start by fooling the victim into thinking there’s a need to fix their computer, phone or tablet, when in reality nothing is wrong with their device.

If you get a pop-up ad that claims your computer is infected, just shut down your computer without clicking on the ad, Bernas said.

The scams can be quite sophisticated.

Yonah Klem, of suburban Chicago, said she was scammed in September after first getting a notice claiming she had signed up for an online shopping service. She hadn’t, so she replied to the supposed vendor, who told her she had malware on her computer that needed to be cleared. That person referred her to a supposed tech support company, who claimed they could fix the problem for $1.000.

She paid the money and gave the person remote access to her computer.

Later, she and her husband had second thoughts. They asked a friend who was a computer expert, who told them it was a scam.

Klem described the whole process as “slick,” adding, “We’re both smart people and we got snookered.”

The Federal Trade Commission has had some success against the scammers, bringing 17 cases since 2012 and recovering several million dollars in restitution for consumers, Kossow said.

But because the scammers themselves largely operate from overseas – often based in India -- educating consumers is an important line of attack.

The agency has a new web page with information for consumers.

Anyone who gets a pop-up notice, call or email is urged to report it to FTC.gov, IC3.gov and the BBB’s Scam Tracker, even if they didn’t fall for the scam.

The BBB offers this advice:

-- Never purchase software or services from an unsolicited call, email, online ad or bogus website.

-- Don’t give control over your computer to a third party unless you are certain it is a legitimate tech support service.

-- Make sure you have quality, up-to-date anti-virus software.

-- If you get a pop-up alert, call or email that seems suspicious, just ignore it – do not click on anything or call them back.

-- If you think you have been victimized, report the scam to the authorities and have your computer checked by a reputable tech services company for possible malware.

-- Frequently monitor your credit card and bank accounts for any signs of fraud.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.iStock/Thinkstock

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(BRECKENRIDGE, Co.) -- A 10-year-old double amputee who lost everything in the California wildfires learned how to snowboard from a Paralympic medalist who is also an amputee.

Lilly Biagini, of Santa Rosa, California, spent last week hitting the slopes in Breckenridge, Colorado, with Keith Gabel, a U.S. Paralympian bronze medalist in snowboarding.

Gabel said of his student, “I’ve never met anybody with the spirit that Lilly has.”

“When I turned and I stopped without anybody’s help, it made me feel strong and proud of myself,” Lilly said. “I was really surprised that I did it by myself.”

Lilly, a third-grader, chose to have her legs amputated in 2014 after being born with arthrogryposis multiplex congenital, a condition that prevented her joints from bending.

Lilly and her mom, Jessica Biagini, had to evacuate their home within about five minutes in October when one of the fast-moving wildfires that devastated parts of the Sonoma County area swept through their neighborhood. Their home was destroyed by the fire, along with all of Lilly’s medical equipment.

“Everything that makes Lilly a confident, spunky, sassy little girl she lost,” said Biagini. “She’s very, very proud of who she is and proud to be an amputee. She never wears pants because she wants people to see her prosthetic limbs.”

A San Francisco-based prosthetic company stepped up to offer Lilly a new set of legs for free. Then she got an invitation to attend The Hartford Ski Spectacular in Breckenridge, one of the nation’s largest winter sports festivals for people with disabilities.

Instead of skiing, Lilly decided to tackle snowboarding, something she hadn’t tried before.

“When I was introduced to her, her jaw just dropped,” recalled Gabel, 33, who said Lilly picked up the essentials of snowboarding within one hour of lessons. “Her level of excitement for this whole thing and her gratitude, I don’t have the vocabulary to express those feelings.”

Lilly said her favorite part of the experience was, “Being free and being with Keith.”

“He told me to keep working hard and help yourself and be proud of yourself,” Lilly said of Keith. “I’m so amazed and very, very grateful … for being here with everybody and being alive.”

During their time on and off the slopes, Lilly and Gabel had the chance to talk about the more serious near-death experience Lilly went through during the fire.

“She has a very vivid memory of the whole thing and I think that’s going to stick with her for a long time,” Gabel said. “And to see how she’s handled it so far, it’s empowering. It really is.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Find Us On Facebook