ABC - Top Stories
Subscribe To This Feed

Jack Taylor/Getty Images(LONDON) — U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May told Parliament Thursday that the perpetrator of Wednesday's terrorist attack at London's Westminster Bridge was British-born and had been previously known to authorities.

Speaking to the House of Commons, May spoke solemnly about the "act of terrorism that tried to silence our democracy."

"But today we meet as normal — as generations have done before us, and as future generations will continue to do — to deliver a simple message: We are not afraid," she said. "And our resolve will never waiver in the face of terrorism."

May went on to discuss what intelligence and security officials had thus far gleaned about the attack, noting that the attacker had been born the in U.K. and had been on the radar of the security services. She reiterated that police had arrested eight people at six locations in overnight raids in Birmingham and London.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

ABC/Eric McCandless(LOS ANGELES) -- TV icon and Dancing with the Stars fan William Shatner hasn't revealed which one of this season's celebrities he's rooting for, but there's no secret who he wants off the show.

More than an hour before the ABC dance competition's season-24 premiere, Shatner took to Twitter, declaring in a series of tweets that he wanted The Bachelor's Nick Viall to waltz on out of the ballroom.

"My goal for #DWTS is to knock bachelor Nick out ASAP. Who is with me?" he began, before adding, "Whoever your favorite is - just not Nick- make the 10 phone calls for them."

"How do we get #BachelorNation to not vote for Nick?" he continued.

TV's Captain Kirk didn't let up during the show. “#Dontvote4Nick,” he urged.

When a follower asked Shatner to cut Viall some slack, noting that he's “kind of sensitive” and the Twitter campaign might “break his heart,” Shatner replied, “And your point?”

Yet another fan wondered why Shatner had had it in for Viall, the 86-year-old actor answered, “He lives up to the homonym of his last name,” explaining, “Watch Andi [Dorfman]‘s Bachelorette Season where he started this Viall journey.”

The exchanges continued into Tuesday, when Viall finally responded with a simple sad face emoji.

Dancing with the Stars airs Mondays at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

SeanPavonePhoto/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- A public opinion poll released by Quinnipiac University Wednesday reported decreasing levels of approval for President Donald Trump in the midst of his battle over the new health
care bill, continued insistence he was surveilled and a probe into Russian interference during the presidential election.

Trump's approval rating fell slightly to 37 percent in the poll, compared to 41 percent just over two weeks ago when Quinnipiac released its March 7 results. Respondents disapprove of the president
at a 56 percent rate in the Quinnipiac numbers, up slightly from 52 percent on March 7. The poll's margin of error is /- 3 percent among registered voters.

Members of Trump's own political party voiced increasing levels of displeasure with his performance. Among Republicans, Trump's approval rating dropped 10 points from 91 to 81 percent and levels of
disapproval almost tripled from 5 percent to 14 percent. Democratic disapproval of Trump's performance sits at 90 percent, with just 6 percent of party members reporting approval.

Perception of Trump's honesty and leadership skills were among the personal qualities gauged by the poll. Of those answering, 35 percent said Trump was honest, down slightly from 39 percent earlier
in the month and a high of 42 percent on February 7.

Those who responded that the president is a good leader is down to 40 percent -- the same amount who said he "cares about average Americans -- from 47 percent two weeks ago and a high of 56 percent
just after the election on November 22.

One of Trump's lowest numbers came in the number of poll respondents who said he was "level-headed:" 30 percent.

The president performed better with questions about strength (66 percent of those polled said he was a strong person) and intelligence (59 percent said that he possessed the quality.)

As for one of the White House's most controversial stances, 19 percent of those polled believe that "President Obama wiretapped Trump Tower during the 2016 presidential election," compared to 70
percent who do not believe the claim. Republicans are virtually even by a 41-39 margin.

Congress' approval rating sits lower than Trump's with House Republicans at 29 percent and House Democrats at 30 percent.

Respondents were split on Trump's battle with the media -- each received support at a 34 percent level when those polled were asked, separately, if each can be trusted "to do what is right almost
all of the time or most of the time.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

Virgin America(SEATTLE) -- The Virgin America name is embarking on its final voyage.

The parent company of Alaska Airlines announced Wednesday that it would be phasing out Virgin’s name following the merger of the two companies last December.

“After careful consideration, the combined company will adopt Alaska's name and logo, retiring the Virgin America name likely sometime in 2019,” a statement said. However, the combined airline
will adopt many of the brand elements that Virgin America enthusiasts love about their favorite airline, including enhanced in-flight entertainment, mood lighting, music and the relentless desire
to make flying a different experience for guests. The goal is to create a warm and welcoming West Coast-inspired vibe.”

Vice President of Marketing Sangita Woerner,said they wanted one name for their airline in order to be more consistent and efficient.

The combined forces of the Alaska Air Group make up the fifth-largest carrier in the nation.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

jarun011/iStock/Thinkstock(BOSTON) -- A once-prominent drug executive was convicted today of racketeering and fraud but acquitted of murder for his role running the company that allegedly produced contaminated medicine that caused a deadly outbreak of infections including meningitis in 2012.

The jury today returned a mixed verdict in the trial of 50-year-old Barry Cadden, the former president and co-founder of the Boston-based New England Compounding Center, finding him guilty of
racketeering and mail fraud but acquitting him on all 25 counts of second-degree murder.

Cadden was accused by the government of creating a public health crisis as head of the NECC, where prosecutors said shoddy practices and unsanitary conditions doomed hundreds of people for whom the
company produced drugs.

The government says a total of 753 people across the country were stricken in 2012 with an epidemic of infections, including meningitis, after receiving contaminated steroid injections produced by
Cadden’s company, and 64 of them died.

One of those sickened with meningitis was 44-year-old Patricia Schmiedeknecht of Rhode Island, who told ABC News she still suffers from intense pain and continuous sickness five years later.

“I cry and I get angry,” she said. “My physical life is much different. I don’t have the energy that I used to. I feel extra pain. I have head pain.”

When investigators went to the NECC, they say they found filth, rusted equipment and insects in a facility turning out batches of contaminated medicine.

And as part of his alleged scheme to cut corners, prosecutors said Cadden created phony lists of patients, using names of people who were not customers, including Donald Trump, Calvin Klein and
Jennifer Lopez, in order to be considered a pharmacy with clients instead of a drug manufacturer, which is held to a higher standard.

During the trial, the prosecution also showed videos of Cadden telling his employees not to worry about state health inspectors.

“How can they come in and inspect me?” Cadden said in one training video. “They don’t even know what they’re looking at. They have no clue.”

Cadden’s laywer Bruce Singal called it a “disgrace” that Cadden had faced any murder charges.

“We said from Day one of this case that these murder charges were unjust, unwarranted, and unproveable and we are pleased that today’s verdict vindicates Barry on them,” Singal told ABC News.

Cadden remains free on bail while awaiting his sentencing, which is set for June 21.

Kathy Pugh, whose now-deceased mother was sickened for years before ultimately succumbing to health complications from the tainted medication, called on the judge to impose a harsh sentence.

“If he gives Barry Cadden maximum time, he will send a signal to other CEOs of major companies, whether it’s pharmaceutical, automotive, or whatever,” she said. “It will send a signal that they
can’t get away with this.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

valio84sl/iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) – Chicago Bulls center Robin Lopez and Toronto Raptors forward Serge Ibaka were each suspended one game for their role in a fight between the two teams on Tuesday night, the league
announced Wednesday.

Both players took swings at each other during Toronto’s 122-120 win over Chicago Tuesday night and had to be separated by coaches and officials. Both players were ejected after an official review.

Raptors assistant Jamaal Magliore was fined $15,000 for his role in the scrum.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The fatal stabbing of a 66-year-old man in New York City on Monday night is being investigated as a bias crime, according to police.

Authorities identified the suspect as James Harris Jackson, 28, of Maryland, an Army veteran who'd served in Afghanistan.

Assistant Chief Bill Aubry said during a news conference on Wednesday that Jackson has a deep-seated hatred of black people. Police say he allegedly wrote a manifesto about attacking blacks in New York City.

"It is believed that he was specifically intending to target male blacks for assault," he said. "The reason why he picked New York is because it's the media capital of the world and he wanted to make a statement."

He is in custody and is being charged with murder, police said. Jackson has not yet entered a plea and is expected to be arraigned Wednesday evening.

"Based on statements that he made, the subject, as well as a preliminary review of video, it reveals that the attack on [victim] Timothy Caughman was clearly racially motivated," Aubry said.

Aubry said Jackson arrived from Baltimore, Maryland, on Friday via BoltBus and then stayed at a Midtown hotel from Friday to Monday afternoon. Aubry said video surveillance footage had captured Jackson wandering through the city.

Police said the fatal stabbing occurred around 11:15 p.m. Monday, as Caughman, a can and bottle recycler, was rifling through the trash.

Police said Jackson walked into a police substation in Times Square a little after midnight today, allegedly saying that he was wanted for a murder that had occurred 24 hours earlier.

Knives were found in his possession, police said. Aubry said police had recovered a 26-inch black mini sword, which investigators believe to be the murder weapon. Aubry said that Jackson did not attack anyone else.

Police said Caughman walked more than a block to a police precinct before collapsing. He was pronounced dead at Bellevue Hospital.

Aubry said that Jackson is still being questioned by police. Aubry said authorities are working to upgrade charges to a possible hate crime or racially motivated crime.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Find Us On Facebook