ABC - Top Stories

iStock(NEW YORK) -- Government officials in Puerto Rico began distributing much-needed disaster aid that went unused for years while residents suffered in the wake of a deadly hurricane and more recently a batch of crippling earthquakes.

The once-abandoned supplies -- which included thousands of sealed cases of water bottles, pallets of food, diapers, baby formula and cots -- were distributed on Monday to shelters in communities where powerful earthquakes leveled homes in recent weeks and caused an estimated $110 million in damages, according to government officials.

The unused aid, believed to have been delivered during Hurricane Maria in 2017, was discovered in an abandoned government-operated warehouse in the southwestern city of Ponce over the weekend, sparking a wave of angry protests.

Some residents even gathered outside of the Governor’s Mansion in San Juan to call for the governor's resignation amid questions over why the aid didn't make it to those in need earlier.

Puerto Rico Gov. Wanda Vazquez fired the island's chief of emergency management, Carlos Acevedo, and temporarily called for the National Guard to oversee the agency amid an ongoing investigation into why the aid was left to sit while residents were in need.

"In the last days there have been actions by members of the government that are not acceptable," Vazquez told reporters Sunday. "I will not permit this type of conduct in my government."

She also called for the resignation of Family Affairs Secretary Glorimar Andujar and Housing Secretary Fernando Gil after they were unable to provide the information she requested on their agencies’ distribution centers.

They tendered their resignations after the press conference concluded.

"I feel the indignation that the people of the island feel," she said.

When asked how it was possible she did not know about the existence of the 43,000 square foot warehouse, Vazquez replied: "That’s what the head of agencies are for ... to inform the governor." Vazquez had vowed that all the Ponce warehouse supplies that are not expired would be distributed to the towns that were the hardest hit by the quakes.

Acevedo defended the emergency management agency before his firing in a statement released on Saturday. He said the warehouse had been was inspected after a recent earthquake by a structural engineer who recommended emptying it due to damage suffered.

"It is important to emphasize that no citizen has been denied any of the items found at this place," the statement said. "At the moment, there is no shortage of any of these articles and they are being distributed to the people who need it; data that can be verified in the shelters and base camps."

Acevedo said at one point there had been 600 pallets of water, which were distributed to the public when Hurricane Dorian and Hurricane Karen threatened Puerto Rico, but there were about 80 left. The investigation will examine inventory at that warehouse and potentially any others.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



ABC/Randy Holmes(LOS ANGELES) -- It's a good thing Eddie Murphy decided to forge his own path early on in his career, because according to the legendary comedian, he received some pretty "bad advice" when he first started out.

In a new feature with W Magazine, Murphy reveals that the worst advice he's ever received was from late comic legend Rodney Dangerfield.

"In the early days, I don't remember getting any good advice. I remember some bad advice I got years ago," Murphy recalls. "I played the Comic Strip in Fort Lauderdale, and I was maybe 17, 18 years old. And Rodney Dangerfield comes in, he bumps everybody. It was like, 'Dangerfield is here. Dangerfield's going up.'"

"I was really full of myself back then," he continues. "So I would say, 'Mr. Dangerfield, after the show, will you watch my set?' And he was like, 'Yeah, yeah, sure kid.' "

Murphy then explains what Dangerfield witnessed.

"Back then, I was really dirty and did edgy, racial stuff," Murphy says. "And so, afterward, Dangerfield sees me and he's like, 'Hey, kid, I don't know where you're gonna go with that, you know? The language, and the race stuff,' and I was crestfallen."

However, according to Murphy, Dangerfield's criticism didn't quite inspire him to switch up his comedy style.

"Cut to two, three years later, I got on Saturday Night Live, and had gotten really successful," he says. "And I was in Vegas in the bathroom at Caesars Palace. I was at the urinal, and Rodney Dangerfield comes to the urinal right next to me. And I look over, and he looks at me and says, 'Hey, who knew?'"

It's safe to say Murphy's still doing pretty well, with a number of film projects and a comedy special lined up.

The issue of W Magazine featuring Murphy hits newsstands on February 4.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



iStock(NEW YORK) -- NBA player Chandler Parsons was in a potentially career-ending car accident, reportedly involving a driver who was under the influence, according to the law firm Morgan & Morgan.

Chandler, who is a small forward with the Atlanta Hawks, was reportedly driving home from practice around 2 p.m. on Jan. 15 when his vehicle was struck. Parsons, according to his attorneys, "suffered multiple severe and permanent injuries including a traumatic brain injury, disc herniation and a torn labrum."

Parsons' attorneys, John Morgan and Nick Panagakis, said his injuries could potentially end his nine-year NBA career.

"Chandler is having a difficult time accepting the consequence of the defendant's reckless conduct on the roadway," his lawyers said in a statement to ABC News.

The alleged suspect was not identified by the firm, but it said the driver was arrested and charged with a DUI. The driver who allegedly hit Parsons was unconscious at the wheel when police arrived, according to USA Today, citing an incident report. A 7-Up bottle filled with alcohol was reportedly found in the driver's seat, the outlet reported.

The Hawks, in a statement on the day of the incident, said Parsons was involved in an accident after practice. The team said he was diagnosed with a concussion and whiplash and that he would enter the NBA's concussion protocol. They announced Monday he was out of their next game with "concussion/whiplash/associated disc injury."

The team has not disclosed any further details about his injuries or the crash.

"Chandler was in peak physical condition at the time of the wreck," Parsons' legal team said in a statement. "He is now working with a team of doctors to regain his health, and at this time, his ability to return to play is unclear. Our focus right now is on helping him make a full recovery, while we also work to hold any and all responsible parties fully accountable."

Parsons is on the last year of a four-year, $94 million contract. He was traded from the Memphis Grizzlies to the Hawks prior to the start of the 2019-2020 NBA season.

The forward was selected by the Houston Rockets in the first round of the 2011 NBA Draft. He has also played for the Dallas Mavericks. In college, Parsons was named an NCAA All-American while playing for the Florida Gators.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



iStock(NEW YORK) -- Twitter adversaries President Donald Trump and teen climate change activist Greta Thunberg may come face-to-face at the annual World Economic Forum meeting this week, and all eyes are on their potential showdown at Davos.

Trump, 73, is slated to give a special address at the conference of world and business leaders at 11 a.m. local time on Tuesday. Thunberg, 17, will speak shortly after.

While Thunberg has become a symbol of the youth-led movement, calling for urgent action on climate change, the Trump administration has taken steps to show it does not consider it a priority, including withdrawing the U.S. from the Paris Climate Agreement. Trump has previously called climate change a hoax.

The last time the two were in the same room, at the United Nations Climate Action Summit in September, a photo emerged on social media showing them crossing paths. It quickly went viral.

"I think both voices are necessary," he said. "The environment will play a particularly important role during this meeting."

Thunberg made headlines late last month when she said she "wouldn't have wasted my time" speaking to Trump about climate change.

"I don't think I would have said anything because he's obviously not listening to scientists and experts, why would he listen to me?" she told the BBC's Today radio program. "I probably wouldn't have said anything, wouldn't have wasted my time."

The teen added that she thinks Trump may see the growing climate movement among young people as a "threat."

While it is unclear what Trump will say during his special address at Davos Tuesday, Thunberg will speak on a panel about “Averting a Climate Apocalypse.”

She wrote in an op-ed for The Guardian last week, saying she is going to Davos to call on leaders to divest from fossil fuels.

“We demand that at this year’s forum, participants from all companies, banks, institutions and governments immediately halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction, immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels,” she wrote.

The president has frequently attacked the teen climate activist on social media, tweeting that it is "so ridiculous" that Thunberg was selected as Time magazine's 2019 person of the year and telling her to "chill."

"Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend!" the president wrote. "Chill Greta, Chill!"

Thunberg seemed to take it in stride. Shortly after, Thunberg changed her Twitter bio to read: "A teenager working on her anger management problem. Currently chilling and watching a good old fashioned movie with a friend."

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



iStock(LONDON) -- Prince William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, made their first public appearance Monday since the announcement of Prince Harry and Meghan's exit from the royal family.

William and Kate hosted a reception at Buckingham Palace on behalf of Queen Elizabeth to mark the U.K.-Africa Investment Summit that took place in London Monday.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, the widow in Rep. Elijah Cummings, talks to the hosts of ABC's "The View," for Martin Luther King Day, Jan. 20, 2020. - (Lou Rocco/Walt Disney Television)(WASHINGTON) -- Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, the widow of late Maryland Rep. Elijiah Cummings, paid tribute to her husband on ABC's The View on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, lauding his lifelong battle to secure democracy and promote equality.

“He was a very empathetic man," Rockeymoore Cummings told the hosts. "He grew up in a segregated Baltimore, so he knew what it was like for Americans’ history of hatred to influence and depress the opportunities for a whole generation of people just because of skin color."

She added, "He was determined that he was going to live his life in a way that opens doors for everyone."

Cummings, who passed away on Oct. 17, represented the Baltimore area in Congress and was the chairman of the powerful House Oversight Committee. He was also a key player in the beginning stages of the impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump.

His involvement in the House Democrats' impeachment probe attracted sharp criticism from Trump, who once attacked the congressman and Baltimore on Twitter, calling the city "a disgusting rat and rodent infested mess."

"It hurt him deeply. And it hurt him at his worst moment," Rockeymoore Cummings told The View hosts in response to the tweet. "Elijiah was already battling health issues, so to have the president come out and do this at that time, it really depressed him and it stressed him and I think it undermined his health."

Before his passing, Cummings' told his fellow lawmakers and the public that his support of impeachment wasn't about "disliking the president," but about "loving democracy." Co-host Whoopi Goldberg even said he was known as the conscience of Congress.

Rockeymoore Cummings reminded the hosts that she's working on her campaign to fill the vacant congressional seat left open by her husband. She stepped down from her position as chairwoman of the Maryland Democratic Party in November, after announcing her plans to run, saying it is now her job to continue his legacy for justice.

"People are rising up all across the country. They are saying that 'we will not be oppressed,'" Rockeymoore Cummings said, adding "We have hordes of women who are running to take office... I am a part of that vanguard of people who are seeking to build on the legacy left by Elijiah Cummings."

Co-host Meghan McCain called on Rockeymoore Cummings for her internal strength.

"I don't think I could have run for anything three months after my father died," said McCain, the daughter of the late Arizona Sen. John McCain, adding "Was Elijah supportive?"

"Absolutely," Rockeymoore Cummings said, explaining that she and the vigorous congressman were a team from the start, fighting together for a long time.

"Elijiah met me on Capitol Hill, I was already in the fight," Rockeymoore Cummings told the hosts. "We fought together for a very long time, and he expected me to continue the fight. On several occasions he told me that he thought I should run for his seat."

At the time, she said she told him that she didn't want to think about that, because that would mean Cummings -- who began his fight for civil rights at just 11 years old -- would be gone.

The conversation then turned to her health and preventative measures she's taken to ensure she can continue to fight for his legacy.

She told the hosts that she got a double mastectomy to slow or delay breast cancer, which runs in their family -- and claimed her mother's life in 2015.

The Democratic field to fill Cummings' seat is a crowded one: 24 candidates are in the running thus far.

Rockeymoore Cummings’ step-daughters announced their endorsement of Harry Spikes, Cummings’ longtime aide on Capitol Hill, in early December.

Kweisi Mfume, the former president of the NAACP -- who previously held the seat -- also announced he would compete to return to Congress.

Cummings was the first African American to lie in state at the Capitol. His ceremony was attended by many, including former presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton.

The special primary election to fill his seat is slated for Feb. 4.

The special general election will be held on Apr. 28, the same day as Maryland’s 2020 primary election.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



nopparit/iStock(NEW YORK) -- The new coronavirus that has infected more than 200 people in China has been transmitted between humans, according to Chinese health authorities.

Zhong Nanshan, who heads up China's National Health Commission, told Xinhua News Agency, China's official state-run news organization, that two cases of human-to-human transmission had been confirmed in China, one in Wuhan and one in Guangdong.

Chinese officials had initially linked the virus to large seafood market in Wuhan, China, where many of the cases originated. Newly reported infections more than tripled over the weekend, rising to more than 200 cases according to the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission. Several cases were reported outside of China, in Japan, Thailand and South Korea.

Three people have died from the virus, which is in the same family as SARS, MERS and the common cold.

The World Health Organization confirmed that there is evidence of "limited human-to-human transmission" of the new virus.

"This is in line with experience with other respiratory illnesses and in particular with other coronavirus outbreaks," WHO said, noting that there is not enough evidence available so far to evaluate the full extent of the human-to-human transmission.

Patients' symptoms, which resemble pneumonia, include difficulty breathing, fever and lesions on the lungs, which were revealed through chest X-rays.

In his first commends about the outbreak, Chinese President Xi Jinping warned that it's "extremely crucial" to take every action to fight the disease, and that "party committees, governments and relevant departments at all levels should put people's lives and health first."

"The recent outbreak of novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan and other places must be taken seriously," Xi said Monday, according to state television network CCTV.

There are lingering fears about respiratory viruses in China after a 6-month-long SARS outbreak, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, sickened more than 8,000 people and killed 774 in 2003, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"It's certainly a confirmation of something we worried about," Dr. Stanley Perlman, a professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Iowa who has done research on SARS and MERS, told ABC News of the human-to-human transmission cases.

While it made sense that the outbreak started in a market, if there was no person-to-person transmission, it should have ended quickly, once the market was closed and fumigated, Perlman said. Hearing about more cases, especially in countries outside of China, was a hint that human transmission was possible.

Still, Perlman cautioned that experts don't yet have a good read on how severe the virus is.

"It's a concerning development, but we don't know the level of contagiousness or the number of cases," he said.

 Although more than 700 people died of SARS, for example, the majority of those deaths were among older people and those with underlying health problems.

Perlman will also be watching to see if there will be future cases that didn't start in Wuhan. Until more information emerges, he said, it could still be a single-point outbreak.

"If you start having cases in other areas, we have to reconsider what's going on," he said.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Listener Poll
NEW YEAR! NEW DECADE! NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Find Us On Facebook